Setting: Around 9 o'clock on a saturday night. Ashley and I are hungover and feel like staying in. At least, at first. Deer:
Process number two. 11:06pm. I have changed my clothes and cut the sleeves off my yellow hoodie. Unfortunately, we didn't take any photos after the first bleaching when my hair was sort of a cornflower yellow.
Too excited to put clothes on, I run out to show Ashley the final product. My hair is practically see-through.
voila! It somehow looks magically longer. Ashley thinks it stretched out. I'm pretty sure that's impossible but I don't have any other ideas.
I think we finished a little after midnight or maybe around 1am. By this time we really wanted to go do something but it was cold and Ashley's cats were hungry. We used 40 volume developer which you are not supposed to do for this sort of thing. But this is the fastest my hair has ever turned white; usually it takes like seven bleaches over a period of months. This is also the most like straw my hair has ever felt. Apparently the most it has ever looked like straw as well, thanks Greg. The next day I walked into a thrift store and a woman got really excited about it and exclaimed, "Who cuts your hair?!?!" and I had the pleasure of saying, me. Then I pointed to Ashley and told her that she had dyed it. Then she said we are adorable and since then no one has mistaken us for twins, though that lady did ask if we were sisters which I didn't think would happen now that our hair is different. Not that I ever minded at all.
Oh yeah, the aftermath:
For someone who has so many hair dying paintbrushes, I sure never use them when I am dying hair. I couldn't find them so we used regular paintbrushes and combs. Note also: gloves we got from a Dunkin Donuts on Broad Street, the sleeves of my yellow hoodie, the huge bottle of 40 developer that would make Bridget squirm, the bleach evverrrywhere.

2 comments:
I've been reading a lot about hair lately (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102074149). As a result, I am tempted to surmise a reason for longer hair post dying. My guess is that stripping your hair of color probably changes the molecular structure of your hair. Perhaps that would lead to long hair.
In any case, I wish you healthy hair.
uhhh thanks? i'm pretty okay with how healthy/unhealthy it is though
Post a Comment