Monday, September 15, 2008

so let's ride bikes into the sea

On Saturday I went to Weatherly and to get a kitten and a haircut.

I am just kitten-sitting until Trevor returns from Paris in three months. Then I went to work for a lot of hours and then to the Jazz Café to see an really neat bluegrass band with Shelley from work, and Sean from work was there, and it was really fun.

On Sunday I went to my cousins’ baby shower. My cousins are sisters who miraculously got pregnant right around the same time and had babies 4 days apart from one another, so I saw the babies (babies are not usually at their own shower) and their older siblings and played play-doh and ate pierogies because my extended family doesn’t believe in vegetables or vegetarians. I was supposed to have work that night but I got called off thanks to all you assholes not going to eat at the Rustic Kitchen. So I hung out at home and had all these plans that involved electricity, like sewing, filling out internet applications, and watching a movie, and then the power went out, so I sat with my family in the dark in the living room and played with Rosebud (kitten). It was weird last night, because it was a full moon and the sky outside was blue but inside obviously it was pitch black. It was the kind of weather I would like to bottle and open up on nights when I feel really good and on the verge of something. It was way hotter than it’s been at night, like 80 degrees, but the wind was blowing so hard that it felt amazing like being naked because the air felt exactly the same as my skin. I would have loved to sit on the porch but RB was lonely and I didn’t want to lose her outside. When I left my house there were leaves and branches all over the roads.

Today I woke up way late despite the kitten chewing my hair, bracelets, ring, ears, anything she could fit her little jaw around. I pretty much just went for a bike ride with my brother Justin, which was really great, and then went to work. I only worked for like three hours and then I went to Caitlin’s brother’s wake, which was so sad and I wouldn’t even know what to say about it.

Pros about the AmeriCorps job:

Move to Philly

Do good for humanity

And therefore, my soul or whatever

Do good for my resume

Gain experience

Make future job connections?

Move forward in life, rather than sitting still/being paused

Cons:

Have to move to Philly, which means finding roommates and an apartment that don’t suck but are cheap and not in a terrible area

Get paid practically absolutely nothing

I don't like doing things my dad disapproves of, although he warmed up to the kitten pretty quickly after saying no.

The big thing about this is, I would be living in poverty for a year. At the beginning of the summer I didn’t have any money at all. I couldn’t stop at McDonalds and buy a sweet tea, I had a million things I wanted to buy (needs and wants) that I couldn’t, I couldn’t travel to visit my friends because I had no money for gas or bus tickets. I owed (and still do owe) a lot of people money. It really sucked. But then I got my job and it is slowly fixing itself. But if I took this job, I would know it wasn’t going to get better for a whole year. I don’t know if I would be able to go out to eat, ever, or out to drink, or travel.

But the fact that I am considering not doing this because of a mere year of not being able to have what I want makes me feel selfish. What’s a year, really? I won’t starve. I think I can quit if I want to. It will probably be good for me to experience. Transcendental. Minimalist. I'll live like Gandhi and eat oatmeal all the time, which Matt suggested and then said wasn't actually a good idea. I don’t know. We’ll see.


This week is fun:
Wednesday-either Johnny Flynn or Mt. Eerie, maybe Maoz, sleepin' at Ursinus
Thursday-King of Prussia, Sunset Rubdown
Friday- Bridget's 22nd birthday and party (as well as my brother Nick's 20th birthday)
Saturday-I think I will take Nick to the RK for some fine Italian dining before work. I wonder if he reads this blog.
Will leaves from NYC Sunday night. He still needs to eat Taco Bell.
Monday Rob and Matt are playing a show at Cafe Metropolis that I thought was tonight. I will go if I'm not working.

No comments: