Monday, April 6, 2009

lemons & limes

A lot of interesting things happened this weekend. I guess a lot of interesting things happen every weekend. THIS weekend though, it felt so long. Friday Matt and I took a walk to the post office and the library and bought a case of beer because the weather felt like we should have some beer to drink. Then we came home and climbed on the roof and drank some and it was really beautiful, as you can tell by the photos. The sky was so dramatic and we could see the rain coming down in West Philly. Ashley came over and we made some Brazilian lime drink and climbed on the roof again and there was an amazing rainbow. The three of us set off on our bikes to try to get tickets to the sold out Dan Deacon show and my bike committed some sort of kamikaze stunt where the derailleur went in between the back spokes and bent like metal shouldn't. Matt broke the chain so my back tire could move and we walked back home, defeated about Dan Deacon. I took a train to fishtown and met Ashley at the Barbary for free drinks and another reason to travel to fishtown other than borrowing Tommy's bike, which I rode back and made me realize I needed to fix my own bike pronto. We went to a party at Lindsey's where a ton of Ursinus kids were and I took the most painful shot of my life, neveragain accepting shots from Lindsey in her bedroom. Danced in the living room til other friends showed up and then sat on the dryer for a long time listening to people talking about conneticut and pennsylvania hardcore. Then we went outside and I climbed a tree on 9th Street and tackled Ian to the glassy ground. I realize I sometimes tackle people when I am drunk, and I think it scares them, well I know it scares them sometimes, but I grew up in a tackling family and I just think it's really fun. I should have played rugby when I wanted to freshman year of college. Gotten it out of my system. Ohwell! Then I walked home and made falafel for some boys and me and chatted on the living room floor til four in the morning.

I had work on Saturday and I felt okay about it, considering. The weather got to be so nice but windy like it often seems to be here. I went to this wonderful bike-fixing friend's house three blocks from mine and watched attentively for three hours while he turned my bike into a single speed. It seemed like the best option since I have no money and wanted my bike fixed, as I said, pronto. I still have my suntour derailleurs and maybe someday when I am rich or living somewhere more mountainous I will have them fixed and put my dismembered bike back together. Until then, it is 10 pounds lighter and maybe a little more attractive. Well right right now it is not terribly attractive because it has a chain ring that is not mine and looks like a weapon rather than a flower but we will fix that when we can get a chain tensioner thing. "We," ha.

I ran around for the two hours before the party looking for beer, dropping laundry off at Heather's and cleaning the apartment and myself. Ian came over and I sewed a zipper and Greg came over and I cut his hair and we made a gin bucket (other than beer, it's the only way I know to make a lot of people happy at a party). Ian got green and yellow cups that everyone wrote their names on like at a child's birthday party and Matt washed them out so now we not only have a record of who was here but also just a lot of cups with drawings and nicknames on them. I don't know why it's not cool to go to parties til late. Actually, I do, it's cause no one wants to be one of the first people there. No one wants to be uncomfortable. But that's what my good friends and the gin bucket are for--showing up early and easing awkwardness, respectively. A million people came over and got sloppy on gin bucket and their own malt liquor and beer and it was really fun. For the first time, I fell asleep while people were still over, blame work in the morning. I really really like people. They are so interesting, and I really like thinking about what people do when they are alone. Like I know that I mess around on the internet and sew and cook food and make kitschy hair clips and things like that. Listen to music and look up lyrics and think about them and read and I watch Lost or The Office on the internet and talk to my dad on the phone and lately I've been making a whole lot of mix cds. I like thinking about other people doing those things or doing whatever it is that they do.


This is getting to be a little outrageously long so I'll cut it short. Sunday was beautiful and peaceful spent outside and then in my bed with the windows open. I write for this blog now, which I am excited about because they do cool things and some of my favorite new people are involved with it. Actually almost all of my new favorite people. Plus when I was looking for English major jobs, everyone wanted bloggers and people with blogging experience. And though you are reading this on a blog, I don't think it counts.

Today I did taxes at a congressman's office in Media and then his assistant or someone from the office basically offered me a job for when I finish AmeriCorps. "We could use people like you around here." I tell you, doors opening left and right.
Then I went to see Slumdog Millionaire with Yis at the Trocadero and won a size XL Pabst Blue Ribbon hoodie in the raffle. Can I say, the whole audience was soo jealous.

Also this weekend I gave away my elephant fannypack to a girl who liked it more than I did.

projects:
- make a list of liquor stores and beer distributers in our area so it never happens again that I am frantically running around with no cash trying to find an open distributer who accepts cards.
- sew my new pbr sweatshirt into a dress or at least a skinnier sweatshirt
- cut the remaining necks off my teeshirts

This blog seriously exists to help me remember things. I realize it's often a simple narrative that doesn't say much about what I think. But I know what I think, and if you know me, you probably do too, right? And what I choose to write is a good indication of what I think is important. I know at least one person to whom that is interesting.

1 comment:

Amy said...

My public blog is the most boring thing ever, and my livejournal is not much better. :)

I miss you, by the way.