Thursday, December 17, 2009

second viola to your first violin

If you were here
(I'd be home now)

crossing things off lists.

Vegan Mashed Potatoes
* 8-10 potatoes (average size)
* 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (Use vegenaise if you can. It's the real secret to the creamy!)
* 1/2-1 1/2 cup plain soymilk (until desired thickness)
* 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2-3 tablespoons italian seasoning
* 1-2 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder
* salt & pepper

Boil Potatoes until soft. Drain and Mash the Potatoes. Add all ingredients to the potatoes; mixing and tasting to desired flavor and thickness.

I've had two potlucks in the past week and both were pretty great--one at work yesterday and one exclusively VISTA and Friends on Friday. I'm trying to do Christmas shopping but I get so distracted. I already bought for most of the girls on my list; boys are way more difficult.
Lately: Indian and Ethipian dinners, a good amount of red wine, viewing art, walking around Philadelphia, wanting to watch Love, Actually, fancy beers, looking at plane ticket prices, serious talks, catching up, haircutting, plenty of shows in art spaces, listening to the Beatles and Hopalong, my car floods everytime it rains.
You should check out the current exhibit by Cai Quo-Qiang at the Fabric Workshop and Museum. It involves explosions and drawing in gunpowder. Pretty cool. I missed the big explosion outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Friday evening. It's a complete coincidence I even found out about it so soon after it happened.
Loving film photography is getting frustrating. Apparently 110 film got really expensive and hard to find since last year, when it was available for $3 a roll at Wal-Marts. All the Ritz Cameras are slowly going under and I am worried for the little photography shop in Wilkes-Barre.
This weekend is full of holiday parties and craft bazaars (see: Punk Rock Flea Market, Mew Gallery's Holiday Craft Fair [Mew Gallery is going out of business by the way]) so hopefully I can get some neat trinkets for the people on my shopping list who are more like me (not my brothers).
My hair was in a good stage for about a week and now it's starting to be too long and too short to look good. At least it's hat season, and I spend most of my time in an office where I don't care how I look.
I gave two important haircuts this past week, and not to myself. Including my first really hugely drastic cut, from a shoulder length bob to a pixie. She's happy with it, which I am thrilled about.
Work is very busy these days. I appreciate business at work; it makes time fly by. I'm a little nervous about some things coming up but I know it will work out just fine. I am also learning how to dole out responsibilities--I am not used to having the authority to do that and I think it is typical of me to try to do every part of a project I am interested in. The last two weeks though were crazy overwhelming. It's starting to calm down, if only a bit. Before I had a to-do list that wasn't getting any shorter. It's starting to dwindle, finally, as long-term projects and collaborative efforts get sent off or divvied up. I took a three day seminar on Stephen Covey's, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." Very interesting and a lot of useful tools, for real. I am a huge fan of to-do lists and organizing. Folders within folders within folders. I love planners and my google calendar. My room is usually a little messy, but my teeshirt drawer is organized by color.
Feeling okay about winter, the first day of which is Monday, but it's been getting pretty bitter cold. It never feels like Christmas to me unless I'm at home. Excited to see friends and my family over the next weekend. I hope I can come up with good presents by then.
Soon it will be spring and then summer. I can't wait til summer.

I memorized this poem in 5th grade when my Math and Science teacher, Mr. Ryan, wrote it on the marker board with a drawing of a cardinal:

I heard a bird sing in the dark of December
A magical thing, and sweet to remember
We are nearer to spring than we were in September
I heard a bird sing in the dark of December

I wonder if Mr. Ryan still works there and if he writes the same poems for all the months as he did 13 years ago.

I like when people put the year on Christmas cards where they sign their name because it implies that they expect you to keep it for years to come. I think that's really sweet. My grandfather used to always to that, and I got a card from my dad yesterday signed "Dad 2009"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember those poems!

Teacher salaries are public information. This website says no (http://php.app.com/PAteachers/search.php) Mr. Ryan doesn't work in the Crestwood School District anymore as of at least 2007.