I was trying to think of ways to keep myself awake yesterday while at work. My plan was to go see Benjamin Button by myself although I didn't really feel good about paying $10.50 (more than I've ever paid for a movie with the probable exception of Hot Fuzz in Oxford, UK) for a movie during which I wouldn't even be able to whisper comments to a companion. Then, at 4:45pm I got a call on my cell phone from Patrick, probably my oldest friend who I still consider to be a good friend. Our parents are friends, he was best friends with my older brother growing up, I've known him since I was about 4, and we were reunited when we worked together at the Rustic Kitchen. Anyway, he was in town looking at apartments because he is moving back to Philly! I won't even need to make any new friends here since all my old ones are just relocating. So I got to see what some center city studio apartments look like and sit on some IKEA couches that I walked past on my many trips there due to their price tags displaying three-digit numbers beginning with 7s and 8s and 9s. Then we went to the Royal Tavern, which I have been hearing things about (specifically; vegan sloppy joes) for quite some time now. It was fantastic. I got the tempeh club and the fries were delicious and it came with a little cup of veganaise and a pickle. I think it was $8 and it was enormous. I definitely should have saved half for lunch today but I scarfed it all down because I was just too excited. Definitely a worthwhile treat, and within walking distance of my apartment!
Today I went with my VISTA coworkers to Philabundance's Fresh for All and got squash and several orange bell peppers and a cantelope and bananas and it was glorious. All my blog posts seem to be about food, don't they? Maybe I should focus my blog specifically on living the vegan VISTA lifestyle. There's probably a market of about 50 for such a topic. And all sorts of puns. VISTAN. VEGSTA. Not good puns, but puns. I actually don't even think puns is what those are.

research:
AmeriCorps is a national service program that engages
more than 75,000 individuals in intensive, results-driven
service each year.
A 2002
Time/
CNN poll found that 4% of
American adults consider themselves vegetarians, and 5% of vegetarians consider themselves vegans, which implies that 0.2% of American adults are vegans.
According to this, 150 AmeriCorps volunteers per year are vegan, but we can assume that a higher number of such a hippie organization actually are. How about that.
2 comments:
I read a study a long time ago that a high percentage of Americans consider themselves vegetarian. And then the follow up question showed that most of those people ate meat about once a week. So that 5% is probably a lie.
that makes sense. one of the chefs i used to work with talked about cooking vegan for rich people on yachts but he just meant he didn't use butter or cream because he specifically mentioned cooking fish in olive oil and using sifted flour rather than butter to thicken the sauce. fish!
Post a Comment