Sunday, July 5, 2009

let's never go this long without seeing eachother again


I am home in Mountaintop, surrounded by dense woods and animals and clean air. It's really wonderful here, I can't believe how long it had been since I was last home (April 17th). I haven't been here since I got my tattoo and now everyone has seen it but my mom and my aunt. No one really reacted too wildly. My brothers are into it I think.
We had a barbeque on the back deck. My brothers got a moped from the '70s which is really neat-looking and fun to drive around. We played the new Guitar Hero that has drums.  Lit off fireworks that are definitely illegal in Pennsylvania.  It was really good to see everyone.


My phone was dead all weekend and I had a million texts, bummed about missed opportunities to hang out with some people I don't often see. I hung out with Brendan the entire weekend, partially because he's one of few people I can gchat. We ate for free and saw Eric play at the World Cafe Live with Frank Zappa's band and went to Barnes & Noble and sat in Rittenhouse and drank Colt 45 on Friday night. On Saturday we saw away we go and Brendan brought snacks, which is like my favorite part of going to the movies. I don't think I had been to a movie since I've lived here. Now there are a bunch of movies I want to see because of previews. Namely, 500 Days of Summer, Brothers Bloom, and that Moon movie. We got free water ice on South Street and people watched. We rode to the art museum and saw parades and men dressed in revolutionary war-era costumes and people were playing fifes all over the place. We drank more Colt 45. I got drunk early and didn't see as many fireworks as I would have liked. We hung out on someone else's roofdeck and traveled to a party on bikes and skateboards being pulled by bikes. I ate my second wawa hoagie right before bed in three days.

I saw Ian the other day after our longest time of not seeing eachother since I've known him and I am seeing him again soon and so psyched about it. This whole week should be really good actually; Trevor, Bridget, going away party, handsome
 furs, Ian and Ian, punk rock flea market

There are a lot of things I didn't realize I missed so much, like walking around outside barefoot, being outside and not having to see or be seen by strangers, windy roads, little animals everywhere, my cats, the dogs, swimming, fresh air that smells like grass. And being surrounded by people whose sarcasm never makes me feel bad. When I was driving home this morning on 437, which is long and hilly and surrounded by trees and fields, it struck me that probably don't want to always live in a city. I held back an urge to beep at someone for taking too long to go when the light turned green. I hadn't been swimming yet this summer and it's almost July. I want to go to Glen Onoko.
I was told that the other night I was smiling in my sleep. That's pretty nice to hear.

2 comments:

georgia juniper said...

Amyyy I was only home for 12 hours this time, I didn't even leave the house while I was in the area. But one of these days I will come home for a whole weekend and reserve a chunk for you :) maybe I'll even bring Rob with me!

Unknown said...

Yeah, but if you stayed for longer you'd probably get sick of it.

I got an offer to work with Campus Compact at a school literally in the middle of no where. The town was 5,000, three times smaller than Mountain Top. Anyway, when I first got there I had extreme separation anxiety from the city. After five years of living in cities, I thought I'd want the small town (REALLY small town), but no. I don't. Give me some grass and some trees and access to state parks and I'm fine.