Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sunday

today I deleted 150 facebook friends. I hope none of them notice.
Matt and I made our birthday party facebook event. It's official--we're getting older.
I went home Saturday morning for an eye doctor's appointment. I picked out new glasses, got a haircut and hung out with my two best (only?) friends left in NEPA. I listened to This American Life podcasts on both legs of the journey and cried during every single one.
I joined a gym and it makes me feel better about a lot of things. I kind of wish I had done it months ago.


I like poems like this:
by Kevin Young

EYES + EGGS [1983]

Eats. Hot
cakes. Griddle
cakes. Silver

dollars. Head
cook, pepper-dark.
Dumb

waiter. Lazy
Susan. 24 service
24 service

24—
footprints
across a canvas

apron. Rice
in the salt
like luck, over

a shoulder. Marry
the ketchup.
Today Special—

grits, links,
sweetbreads.
This is your brain.

This your brain
on drugs, scrambled
with a side

of bacon, smiling.
Mouthless.
Black joe.

A warmer?

Order up—
Adam & Eve
on a raft, tuna

on whiskey—
were happy
to serve you.

Wanted Help.
We’re in the weeds—
come on back

now hear?
to insure
promptness 15%.

Two bits. End
of shift, punching
out. The whites

like an eye
—eighty-sixed—
sunny, pow-

dered, poached—


2 comments:

Unknown said...

yay! gym! Yay! TAL! yay! no facebook friends!

ashley kate said...

which gym??
I need to join as well.
I went running at midnight last night but had to turn around after 5 blocks - neglected knee pain.