Wednesday, February 11, 2009

it was 65 degrees on Wednesday

and a really wonderful day.  i got finished doing taxes at a daycare early and decided not to go to the office.

preschool teacher:  what animal starts with an L?  It goes, "roooar!"
chorus of children:  DINOSAUR!

I went home and made this recipe, which is delicious with a few modifications:

Macaroni Hates Cheese

Ingredients
1 box elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic
half a fairly large sized onion
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup soymilk
2 tbsp. margarine
4 tbsp. tomato sauce
1 tsp wet mustard
2 pinch chopped basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
oil

Directions
Throw the elbow macaroni into boiling water, following directions on the box. i like using quinoa noodles, for some extra health value. Dice the onion and garlic. Lightly cover the bottom of a small pot with oil and fry the diced onion and garlic at medium-low until onion is transparent. At this point, pour the nutritional yeast and soymilk into the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients, somewhat in the order listed above, while mixing the contents at low heat. Continue heating the sauce for a couple minutes, stirring every so often. The macaroni should be done, so strain it. Pour sauce over macaroni in a bowl. Enjoy!


Matt and I walked to the Mew Gallery, which I hadn't been to in ages and I forgot how cool it is.  We walked through the Italian Market which is so nice in the warm weather.  There were crates of chickens and other live birds which was weird and made me feel like we were in Agrabah or some other Middle Eastern city marketplace.  Then I rode my bike to Rittenhouse to meet up with Tommy and we road along the Schuylkill which I had never done but always talked about.  We rode back to Fishtown and watched the Addams Family and then rode to center city to see jazz for free at some bar.  I'm not someone who is into jazz but any free live music can be nice to see and the drummer was really good.  When I left to go home my bike chain broke so I had to take the subway but I wasn't even bummed out because if it had happened any time earlier throughout the day it would have put a serious damper on it.  It's amazing how weather can make a day so amazing.  Riding bikes through the warmth was like transcendental, to sound pretty corny.  I can't wait for summer.

No comments: