Saturday, September 12, 2009

well if you want to sing out

I found this sweet paid internship:

Museum intern

The American Philosophical Society (APS) Museum is seeking an intern who owns or leases a VW Beetle hard-top.

The intern will drive the vehicle in conjunction with a 2-week (October 12-24, 2009) art performance titled The Voyage of the Beetle and will work with an experienced performance artist, who will stage guerilla performances throughout Philadelphia.

Requirements:
Availability of up to 8 hours per day during the performance run.
Must own/lease a VW Beetle hard-top. Vehicle should be properly insured with valid tags.
Must be willing to have lightweight giant beetle affixed to roof of car during performances (will not damage car -attached via removable roof rack).
Compensation: Generous stipend and reimbursement for fuel/parking costs acquired during performances.

If only I wasn't already 'employed'.

This is one of the most fucked up things I have ever heard that is currently in practice: It is still legal in nine states for insurers to reject applicants who are survivors of domestic violence, citing the history of domestic violence as a pre-existing condition. Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming (and also the District of Columbia).

-U.S. Department of Health and Human Services




And this just sucks:
Due to the lack of State budget authority, the City of Philadelphia may no longer have the funds to provide a full range of critical services, severely impacting our residents, businesses and visitors.

Beginning October 2, without State approval to resolve our funding crisis, the City will be forced to cease operations at all Libraries, Recreation Centers and Fairmount Park. Curbside trash collection will be reduced from every week to every other week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Several Things:

1) It is too bad about VISTA and all and not being able to do certain things. I am especially frustrated because I want to volunteer with Planned Parenthood but can't because it's mostly lobbying stuff. I'm pretty sure this is why they put time limits on AmeriCorps terms.

2) About domestic violence: That is horrible, though, sadly, not surprising. It's already an underreported crime and knowing that you could lose your insurance for it probably makes it even more underreported.

3) Yes, I heard on NPR this morning that PA still hasn't passed a budget. The way things are looking, it looks like a lot more than library funding will be cut.