Monday, June 15, 2009

i just want to watch pierce brosnan steal art


Yesterday I made vegan ice cream with Kevin, blueberry and coconut-mango. I also made summer rolls which are fun enough to make that Vinny, Kevin and I were all basically fighting over who would make the next one. I got tapioca-based circular wraps from the Asian Market and filled them with
avacados
bean sprouts
romaine lettuce
cilantro
shredded carrots
matchstick strips of cucumber
tempeh (boiled for 10 minutes then fried for about 3 minutes with canola oil, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and water)

The tapioca wrap things are really neat because they are hard like...transparencies for a projector, they make that wobbly noise if you move them around, and then I wet both sides under the faucet and put the stuff in and by the time I'd fold it, the wrapper would be nearly clear, soft, stretchy, and sticking to itself. I folded them like burritos and cut them in half and served them with sweet chili sauce. I wish I had taken any photos!

The vegan ice cream was the recipe from Veganomicon, using silken tofu, soymilk, coconut cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. We used my grandmother's manual ice cream maker.

Other things this weekend:

Friday
I left work way early because my Aunt Cathie and her friend came to visit and stayed at my apartment. The first sort of formal (aka adult) guests I've ever had
We walked to Rittenhouse to go to that French restaurant and ate a million different things but didn't feel sick because of the reasonable portion sizes
I drank absinthe for the first time and it was disgusting
Went to sleep way early because what else are you going to do when your aunt is sleeping over?

Saturday
Out to breakfast at Black & Brew, got tofu scramble that wasn't very good
flea markets//yard sales--scarves, a sweater, a little bag with hot air balloons on it
Saturday was sort of a letdown. I haven't been going out as much lately so I wanted to do something really fun Saturday night but nothing was happening. I watched tv at Yis' for a while and went to sleep way later than I would have liked.

Stayed in bed til like 5 on Sunday, watching Netflix watchitnow and wasting time

I've been having these issues with my back for the past five or so days; I don't know what's wrong with me but my back hurts like crazy. I've been popping ibuprofin like mad and taking several naps throughout the day to wait for it to stop hurting. I used my laptop as a heating pad on Saturday afternoon and I've been trying to sleep different ways but I just keep waking up in pain. I feel okay when I take medicine but when it wears off I am pretty much useless. Hopefully that fixes itself soon.

3 comments:

ashley said...

one question: did you drink absinthe with your aunt?!?!

also, one statement: I want to make those tapioca wrap things with you- they sound delicious!!!!

georgia juniper said...

haha I did drink absinthe with Aunt Cathie! She held herself together better than I did. And yes, we will make summer rolls, they are interactive fun and delicious and totally healthy. Luckily I have like 125 wraps left

ashley said...

wow I didn't realize formal adult visits involved absinthe. Did they light it on fire?

let's make wraps with jordan!