Sunday, June 28, 2009

we cut the legs off of our pants

I did a lot of the things I wanted to do yesterday, although apparently the library is closed on weekends.  I got little buckets from the dollar store and punched holes in the bottom to repot my cucumber plants which I had basically ignored since I repotted them the first time.  All the plants are looking sort of sad although there are green tomatoes on the vines and flowers on some of the cucumbers.  The basil and oregano look great though; I really should do more Italian cooking and use them.
Eric took me to Horizons which is the nicest vegan restaurant in Philly and I had never been before.  It was really delicious, like amazingly delicious and I'd like to take my dad there just to show him how flavorful vegan food can be.  
I went with Yis to this kid's house for a hookah-smoking gathering and it turned out to also be the house of a kid I went to college with, a friend-by-association.  Another kid from Ursinus was there, too, this dance major whose girlfriend used to paint his toenails black and they did way too much acid together.  He seemed to have calmed down, at any rate, and I always liked him fine regardless.  Philadelphia is small is the point of this story and I wonder how often or seldom those sort of chance meetings happen in other cities.  I can hardly go anywhere, even in center city, without seeing someone I know, and I've only lived here for seven months.
Then I hung out with Justin and his fourteen year old sister, which was cool.  Got me really psyched for when Alex, who is sixteen, almost seventeen (holy shit.) visits.  I was six when he was born and we've gotten along really well since then.
Remembering being 14:  Having just finished 8th grade, I was in love with my roommate Matt, sad that my friend Emily was moving to Hershey, hanging out a lot with Heather and Nicole and maybe starting to hang out with Courtney...  I was dating my most unlikely ex-boyfriend/second boyfriend ever, Jon, and spending a lot of time making out in my basement.  My cop brother recently-ish pulled Jon over and I think ended up arresting him for possession of cocaine, or something.   I think I was pretty torn up about life and my place in it.  I loved Weezer and Blink 182.  I probably dressed in dumb logo teeshirts and bootcut jeans and punky sneakers.  Middle school was alright though, I think the latter half of elementary school (4th-7th grades) is what really sucked.  Wait, no, I just remembered some stuff and 8th grade sucked too.  Like, I had a good time and everything, but I just had to deal with a lot of stupid shit, too.
I hope if I have kids I can make them understand important things really early on and save them a lot of turmoil.  Things like how stupid other kids are and how little their opinions matter.  My mother didn't really do a great job with that; I can't remember if she tried or not.
I wish I had a photo of 8th grade Georgia for exhibition here.  Maybe I'll look through my actual photographs and find one.

Tomorrow I get to go with Matt to his new workplace for free meals.  I'm stoked.  So much good food and company in these few days.  

I think I am getting this bag for my belated birthday.

Maybe seeing Matt & Kim next Tuesday, though more for the company than anything else.
And I'm going home for the 5th of July.

I am so over having blonde hair all of a sudden.  Bridget, fiiix iiiit pleaseeee

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's cool you grow your own herbs--I should try that out. I'm starting to get into vegetarian cooking and I love it so far. The only part that sucks is being too poor to buy ingredients. I think I am going to go on food stamps soon. I proved my point in trying to make it a year without them. I get it--being poor sucks. We'll see.

My mom and sisters are coming down in August--I am very excited.

As for not wanting you future unborn babies to suffer that pangs of high school, I leave you with this quote from Little Miss Sunshine.

Dwayne: I wish I could just sleep until I was eighteen and skip all of this, high school, everything.

Frank: Do you know who Marcel Proust is?

Dwayne: He's the guy you teach.

Frank: Yeah. French writer. Total loser. Never had a real job. Unrequited love affairs. Gay. Spent 20 years writing a book almost no one reads. But he's also probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare. Anyway, he, uh, he gets down to the end of his life, and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered, Those were the best years of his life, 'cause they made him who he was. All those years he was happy? You know, total waste. Didn't learn a thing. So, if you sleep until you're 18--Ah, think of the suffering you're gonna miss. I mean high school? High school-those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that. "