Saturday, May 16, 2009

shouting rooftop verse

This evening I did laundry at a laundromat for the first time in my life.  This is pretty silly but I really like laundromats.  They're charming to me.  I wouldn't think that had I spent my whole life waiting around in them for my clothes to wash.  Speaking of childhoods, I decided today while walking down my street (Sigel Street, not Passyunk) that I would not want to raise kids in the city.  City kids turn out cool and cultured and hipper than country kids, but the woods were a really important part of my childhood.  I wouldn't want to deny any child regular access to the forest.

Also today my bike got a flat tire.  Twice, sort of.  I'm getting to be really familiar with bike problems and how to fix them.

Then I went to Steph's roof and we had a midnight poetry reading.  It's weird that I feel like I should explain that it wasn't pretentious.  How did reading poetry become a crime in pretentiousness?  At any rate, a nice change of pace from typical Friday night parties.  It was really lovely.

And would it have been worth it, after all,
Would it have been worth while,        
After the sunsets and the dooryards and the sprinkled streets,
After the novels, after the teacups, after the skirts that trail along the floor—
And this, and so much more?—


This picture exists because I matched my bike.  It's blurry because I didn't take it.

I need to make a new fanny pack bag so I can carry my camera around more.  Too hot out for backpacks and messenger bags.  Most of my skirts don't have pockets.

Tomorrow I am going to an opening at the Mew Gallery and then to a grad party in New Jersey?  It will be nice to leave Philly for a little bit.

Really interesting speculations about the season finale of LOST.


but i remember counting days down 'til the year could be done
so i could scatter all my notebooks on the prep school lawn
and disappear again into a summer's bliss
of staying out sleeping in and getting drunk with my friends

that's gone and i know that it won't ever come back
i accept i won't cling to what i had in the past
but life's a slippery slope, regret's the steepest hill
hope for the best, plan for the worst and maybe wind up somewhere
in the middle


1 comment:

Strawberries and a Sailing Ship said...

In New Zealand and (I think) other places in the Pacific, "fanny" doesn't mean butt.